LUTHERVILLE –TIMONIUM RECREATION COUNCIL
CODE OF ETHICS FOR PARENTS
I hereby pledge to provide positive support, care and encouragement for my child participating in youth sports by following this code of ethics.
Let the players play
Let the coaches coach
Let the officials officiate,
Let the fans cheer ENTHUSIASTICALLY.
- I will do my best to make youth sports fun for my child.
- I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for players and coaches of both teams and all officials at every game, practice or youth sports event.
- I will place the emotional and physical well being of my child ahead of any personal desire to win. I will be realistic about my child’s physical ability.
- I will attempt to have my child attend every game and practice. I will make certain my child arrives on time and is picked up on time. I will notify the manager/coach if my child is unable to attend.
- I will provide support for coaches and officials working with my child to provide a positive enjoyable experience for all.
- I will demand a drug, alcohol and tobacco free sports environment for my child and agree to assist by refraining from their use at all youth sports events.
- I will remember that the game is for children, not adults.
- I will instruct my child to treat other players, coaches, fans and officials with respect regardless of race, sex, creed or ability.
- I will promise to help my child enjoy the youth sports experience within my personal constraints by assisting with coaching, being a respectful fan, providing transportation or whatever else I am capable of doing.
Compiled by: Lutherville-Timonium Recreation Council, Youth Athletic Commission
Sources: National Sports Coaches Association
The Physician and Sports Medicine
Baltimore County High School Coaches Handbook
National Council of State High School Coaches Association